4.1 Housing Support Program for the Homeless
[ Name of the Project : Housing Support Program for the Homeless
[ Name of Donor Agency :Greehayon Tahabil Trust-Bangladesh Bank.
[ Preface of the Project :
Bangladesh is a poor country. About 85% people of our country are poor. The condition of poor people is not good at all. It means that the poor people of Bangladesh face severe housing problems along with the basic problems like- food, clothing and shelter. So, Annesha Foundation (AF) has been keeping in line with the government proclaimed policies and has initiated Housing Fund Project to provide loan support to the rural poor, lower class, flood victim, river erosion, cyclone and fire-affected families for building earthen/tin-shed houses.
[ Target of the Project:
The target of the project is to relieve the poor people from housing problem and providing a healthy living environment.
[ Objectives of the Project:
- Giving housing facilities to the rural poor with supply of loans on easy terms and conditions.
- Providing loans in installments for 10 years.
Providing loans to the rural poor, lower class and flood, river erosion, cyclone and fire-stricken people.
[ Operational Areas of the Project
[ Project Implementation Strategies:
To provide housing loans, applications are invited from the group members organized from the rural poor. After sorting out of the real problems and on-spot investigation by respective Branch Manager, the Project Implementation Committee approves the loans. After the approval of loans, the organization make pillars of the houses, platforms and fencing frames/tins and pillars, platforms and fencing frames/tins are supplied to the loan applicant. The remaining budget for building materials and cost is handed over to him/her. The beneficiary builds house on his/her choice. After completion of construction, the local office visits the house and sends a report to the Fund providers. On receipt of the report, they visit the working areas and take steps to clear the funds for the built house.
The number of Upazila-wise distributed houses funded by Greehayon Tahabil Trust-Bangladesh Bank, loan distribution, and realization and outstanding is shown below:
The information about houses is shown below with pie charts:-
Information about Savings and Loan Outstanding:
Information about outstanding loan is shown below with the following table:
[ Results of the Project
- The housing problem of the Project areas is being decreased through this Project.
- A total number of 400 houses built and handed over to the respective poor group members.
- At present, a total number of 400 families have houses and their housing problem has been solved through this Project.
- The respective 400 families are paying installments with a few cases of outstanding loans to be recovered soon.
- The respective 400 families are accommodated in their own houses have had an increased self-respect in the society.
- Out of 5 basic requirements of human beings, the housing is one, which has been solved for these families.
The working area of Annesha Foundation (AF) in the southern region was devastated by the terrifying Cyclone Sidr on 15th November, 2007. The credit activity was stopped as per the order of the Government of People Republic of Bangladesh. Later on, the credit activities faced financial loss due to the bird flu. As a result, outstanding dues increased comprehensively and it was very difficult to prevent it.
Income and Expenditure of Savings and Loan activities:
© 2009 Annesha Foundation,
Fax : 88-02-9005638